On July 9, 2021, California’s Loss of life Valley reached 130 levels Fahrenheit, based on an automatic measuring system there, representing one of many highest temperatures ever recorded on the planet. The world report, additionally recorded at Loss of life Valley, was 134 levels in July 1913.
Greater than 210 levels Fahrenheit separates the very best and the bottom temperatures on report in the USA, the third-largest nation on the earth. As some states are notorious for having blistering sizzling summers, others turn into inundated by winter storms and frigid chilly. The contiguous U.S. had its warmest meteorological summer time (June-August) on report in 2021, based on NOAA’s Nationwide Facilities for Environmental Info.
Stacker consulted 2021 information from the NOAA’s State Local weather Extremes Committee (SCEC) as an instance the most well liked and coldest temperatures ever recorded in every state. Every slide additionally reveals the all-time highest 24-hour precipitation report and all-time highest 24-hour snowfall.
Preserve studying to search out out your state’s report, or see the nationwide listing right here.
Pennsylvania by the numbers
– All-time highest temperature: 111° F (Phoenixville 1 E on July 10, 1936)
– All-time lowest temperature: -42° F (Smethport on Jan. 5, 1904)
– All-time highest 24-hour precipitation: 13.5 inches (York 3 SSW Pump Station on June 22, 1972)
– All-time highest 24-hour snowfall: 38 inches (Morgantown on March 20, 1958)
Tropical storm Agnes unleashed its fury on Pennsylvania in 1972 by claiming the lives of 48 individuals within the state and inflicting damages value an astounding $2 billion. Based on The Night Information, Susquehanna River, which has a standard quantity of 23 billion gallons a day, started overflowing quickly into Harrisburg as its quantity elevated to 650 billion gallons two days after the state skilled its most torrential downpour.
Proceed under to see essentially the most excessive temperatures within the historical past of different states in your area.
Delaware by the numbers
– All-time highest temperature: 110° F (Millsboro on July 21, 1930)
– All-time lowest temperature: -17° F (Millsboro on Jan. 17, 1893)
– All-time highest 24-hour precipitation: 8.5 inches (Dover on July 13, 1975)
– All-time highest 24-hour snowfall: 25 inches (Dover on Feb. 19, 1979)
Millsboro is among the two cities in the USA that holds the report for each the very best and lowest temperatures recorded in a state. Additionally of curiosity was a serious east coast cyclone in 1979 that introduced record-breaking snowfall to the Mid-Atlantic states. Due to this, Dover obtained essentially the most snowfall within the historical past of Delaware’s local weather. Compared to the 25 inches of snow recorded in Dover in February 1979, there have been solely 4–6 inches of snowfall in January 2019.
Maryland by the numbers
– All-time highest temperature: 109° F (Cumberland on Aug. 6, 1918)
– All-time lowest temperature: -40° F (Oakland 1 SE on Jan.13, 1912)
– All-time highest 24-hour precipitation: 14.75 inches (Jewell on July 26–27, 1897)
– All-time highest 24-hour snowfall: 31 inches (Clear Spring 1 ENE on March 29, 1942)
The best report 24-hour whole rainfall in Maryland was in Jewell on July 26–27, 1897. In mid-October, Maryland skilled coastal flooding due to Tropical Storm Melissa that saved growing water ranges on the Chesapeake Bay as floods had been 2.5 ft increased than common.